Monday, April 16, 2012

The Face of an Angel

Acts 6:15
And gazing at him, all who sat in the council saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

Stephen was framed by others who had a dispute with him. After trying to take him on in open confrontation, they found that they couldn't withstand his wisdom and the spirit in which he spoke. So what did they do? They secretly instigated a plot, a plot where they put words in the mouths of other men, men who said that Stephen spoke blasphemous words against Moses and God. Stirring up the people, the elders, and the scribes, they knew he would be seized. As Stephen stood before the council, the false witnesses poured out their vicious lies. This man never ceases to speak words against this holy place and the law. But what was Stephen's response to all of this? Was he full of indignation? Did he try and defend himself? Did he curse and storm? Did he bring in counter witnesses? No, instead all those who gazed at him saw that his face was like the face of an angel. Truly this was someone who continued entrusting himself to Him who judges justly. He followed the example of Jesus by not committing sin or having any deceit in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten... How very hard this is! When my flesh is falsely accused or some injustice has occurred, I want to rise up, to right the wrong, to be vindicated, but is this really trusting a sovereign God? No evil person or the words they say can operate outside the express and sovereign will and purpose of God. Ultimately, it is not the words themselves or even the accusers, but God who has orchestrated all events in each individual life. No doubt, Stephen was resting in His sovereign God and in His will and purpose for His life. The earthly outcome is often not the most important thing, but God's purpose in the redemption of lost souls far outweighs any earthly discomfort that I might endure. I think the problem comes in my focus. Am I looking at eternal things? Am I living and thinking like my home is in heaven? Am I too firmly rooted in this world and all it has to offer? If I am focusing on Him and His will for my life, then I will have the countenance of the one who rests peacefully in God during the struggle, the illness, the affliction, and even the injustice. God's bigger picture always includes my good. I must just trust in Him.
Father,
Keep my eyes focused on You and resting in Your sovereign will. Give me grace to follow the example of Jesus.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment