Monday, April 2, 2012

What I Dread

Job. 3:25-26
For the thing that I fear comes upon me, and what I dread befalls me. I am not at ease, nor am I quiet; I have no rest, but trouble comes.

Sadly, Job cursed the day of his birth. When His suffering became overwhelming, the fleshly thing to do was lash out. Initially, he lashed out at life, at his birth. How many people have felt this way when things get bad? It seems like suffering can be sustained through the serious misfortune and then for awhile, but soon, when every day morphs into more and more of the same, it becomes the thing that people dread. They lose their quiet spirit and their rest. Sleep escapes them and trouble becomes their entire focus. I have never cursed the day of my birth, but my quiet spirit and sleep have definitely escaped me. Prednisone seems to be the thing that I dread and often befalls me. How to handle it? What to do?

Must man go through this cycle during the hard times? Is there not enough grace for this too? First, I must remember what is true about God. In faithfulness you have afflicted me...I am severely afflicted; give me life according to Your word (go to the Word and pray)...You are my hiding place and shield (run to Him)...Look on my affliction and deliver me (He will deliver and hear my prayer). God is a deliverer and a present help in trouble! He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you will find refuge. Secondly, I need to cling to His words (memorize, meditate, and pray them). There is power in His words like no other words. They are life-giving and life-sustaining. My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. What amazing words! What amazing grace! Certainly this verse was tailor made for Job and for me!

Father,
Keep me from letting the flesh take control of my life and spirit when the suffering comes. Keep me covered in Your grace and strength each moment. Keep me connected to You for all that I need.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment