Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Power, Healing, and Preaching

 Acts 3:6
But Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!"   

Peter and John were at the temple during the hour of prayer. As they entered, they saw a lame man lying there asking for alms. Peter responded with something far better than alms. He healed the man! As Peter took him by the right hand and raised him up, his feet and ankles were immediately made strong. And leaping up he stood and began to walk and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God. The people all recognized the man and were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened. Like these people, we are always amazed when we see God do mighty things, but should we be? Wouldn't it be neat if we were like Peter and John who were so close to God that they would have been amazed if something miraculous had not happened? Wouldn't it neat if our currency was not in money but in the power of God? Isn't the Holy Spirit in me the same Holy Spirit as was in the early church?

Peter used this opportunity to preach explaining that they (the onlookers) had no cause for wonder. They had had the Holy and Righteous One among them and killed Him. This same one who was raised from the dead and they now testify of. Wow! Talk about putting it all out there! He went on to say, Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out... What power! This account so reveals their hearts and their focus. Everything in their life was for the glory of God, every small detail or incident was a means to share Jesus. Money was absent from their pockets, but the power of God was in their hearts and lives. What is in my heart? Is all that I do for the glory of God? Am I as concerned about the power of God as I am about surviving in this world? Am I willing to be radical to the claims of the Word of God?

Father,
Show me clearly what is in my heart? Teach me to speak boldly about You as I go through my day. Help to seize the opportunities You bring into my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment