Friday, April 6, 2012

Humbled and Exposed

Deut. 8:2-3
 And you shall remember the whole way that the LORD your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not.  And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

Why did Israel experience the 40 year wilderness walk? God wanted to humble them so see what was in their hearts, to see if they would obey. It is through humility that the heart reveals what is truly there. In the times of hardship and adversity, the heart either cries out for help, curses, or casts blame.
God also fed them manna when they were in the wilderness, food from God that they had never seen before. The lesson they were to learn was that man does not live by bread alone, but by the words of God; sadly, their response was to mourn for the foods of Egypt and to cry out for meat! They began to blame Moses for bringing them out of Egypt. This hunger and longing for the old food obliterated God's working in their lives. It became so bad that He sent them quail til it came out their nostrils. He gave them their request, but with that request came hardness in their hearts.  Did they humbly obey God? No, they rebelled at almost everything! What about my heart? Am I content with the manna (God's provision) in my life? Am I longing for what the world has to offer? When I endure my times of hardship and adversity, what character is revealed? I know that I have seen the great power of God's word. They are real and relevant for every situation. I have experienced His great grace and power that is made perfect in weakness. For the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses, hardships, insults, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, I am strong. This is my prayer that I would learn to be content!  
     
God disciplined Israel just as He does all His children. As the loving Father He gives us what we need. For what purpose is this discipline? So that I might obey His commandments, walk in His ways, and fear Him. Know then in your heart that, as a man disciplines his son, the LORD your God disciplines you. So you shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God by walking in his ways and by fearing him. This is God's plan for my life as well. David's prayer in Ps. 86 echoes these verses. Teach me your ways, O Lord; that I may walk in Your truth. Unite my heart to fear Your name. The key is saturation in the Word because there I am united to Him and His plan and purpose for my life.
 
Father,
Thank You for revealing Your plan for my life. Give me Your strength and power to be in Your word, to obey, and to fear Your name. Hide my life in Yours.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment