Sunday, April 8, 2012

Final Words

   Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.

After His resurrection, Jesus was with His disciples telling to stay in Jerusalem and wait for the promise of the Father, the baptism of the Holy Spirit. In response, they asked when the kingdom of Israel would be restored. Sounds like they were still not on the same page as Jesus! But Jesus answered telling them it was not for them to know the times or seasons ( only the Father knows). [I wonder if we aren't somewhat like the disciples wanting to know things that only the Father knows, wanting to know the time sequence of the end times.] However, Jesus did tell them of a coming event that would transform their lives, the coming of the Holy Spirit. It would be the Spirit in them that would enable them to be witnesses for Him beginning in Jerusalem and radiating out to the ends of the earth. It is this same Spirit in me that enables me to be His witness wherever I go and whatever I do. As soon as Jesus said these words, He ascended into heaven. How important these words must have been! The last words someone says are usually the words most often remembered and the words most important to the speaker. Jesus wanted His disciples to be witnesses in the power of the Spirit! Just as these words were the mantra of the disciples then, they should be now. As these words were then, they should be emblazoned in the hearts and minds of all Jesus' followers today! Instead of focusing on any number of other things, I should be focused on being His witness! Share Him and the message of salvation!
What were the disciples doing as they waited for the promise of the Father? All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and His brothers. Devoting themselves to prayer with one accord! Everyone was on the same page now! What a life style! Unity, prayer, Holy Spirit control, and witnessing! 

Father,
Take me down the path that Jesus commanded. Through the power of Your Spirit show me how to be Your witness. Give me the words. Enlarge my heart so that I might run in the way of Your commandments.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment