Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Man after My Heart

Acts 13:22-23
And when he had removed him (Saul), He raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, 'I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.' Of this man's offspring God has brought to Israel a Savior, Jesus, as he promised.

What a glorious way to be described! A man after my heart, who will do all my will... God saw in David a man who loved Him, who loved His heart, and who was willing to do His will. A man with a heart like this must be God centered! Yet, in this description, there is nothing about perfection or being sinless, and for good reason. Historically, David had many problems and dealt with serious sin issues; in fact, Ps. 51 reveals some of this sin and his journey back to God. When David was confronted by Nathan the prophet for his sin of adultery and murder, he responded quickly. He was not hardened by his foolish actions nor did he persist in them, but instead he confessed and sought restoration with God. Certainly, David would have learned so much from that experience that sin would not be an issue again, but not so. David, like all men, struggled with sin his entire life, but what is important was his heart toward that sin. His heart prized God above all! When convicted, he confessed and went a different way. He was willing to do God's will above all else. That is the question. Where is my heart? Do I hang on to my sin? Am I quick to confess and set myself back on the path of God's will instead of my will?

Father,
Give me a heart for You and the strength and grace to do Your will.
In Jesus name,
Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment