Thursday, July 11, 2013

Blessed be the Lord!

Ps. 144 1-2
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; He is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and He in whom I take refuge, who subdues people under me.
 
I love the contrast in this psalm. David begins with a declaration of love for a God that exceeds all human expectations. His God is so many things: his foundation, his protection, his love, his hiding place, his constant deliverer, his personal deflector for the jabs and darts of evil. How glorious! He praises God for this things because he has personally experienced them.
 
Then in the next verses he looks at himself pondering why God would choose to be there for him. What does he have to offer God? Is he of value to God? He knows full well that he is nothing. .. O Lord, what is man that You regard him, or the son of man that you think of him? Man is like a breath, his days are like a passing shadow. That is the beauty of God! He chooses to be their for David regardless of what he is. He chooses to shower his steadfast love and grace upon man not because man has anything to offer but for His own good pleasure and to bring glory to His name.
 
Such grace as this must illicit constant praise and blessing! Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall! Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord! Yes, I say, Blessed is the Lord, the Lord who is my God!
 
Father,
I am so thankful for Your grace, mercy, and steadfast love. My heart praises You and blesses You. Mold my heart to one of complete reliance on You. Teach me to choose You in every situation that comes into my life.
In Him,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment