Monday, July 22, 2013

Count the Cost

Lk. 14:26-27
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.
 
If a man were to build a house but had not calculated if he had enough materials to finish the house, his project would be incomplete. What good is a foundation without the rest of the house? The same goes for a king who goes to battle. If he only has 10,000 soldiers, and his enemy has 20,00, it might be better if he sought terms for peace to avoid loss of life and his kingdom. What about buying groceries? I have on occasion loaded up my cart, gone to the register, only to find out I didnt have enough money. How embarrassing! Counting the cost for whatever you do is essential.
 
Jesus talked to the great crowds who followed Him. Perhaps many of them were waiting for miracles or free food, but the message they heard this day was hard. Jesus told them that if they were to follow Him, they must be willing to hate family and even their own lives.['Hate' is a Semitic term for loving less.] Normally, a person who cares deeply for family is admired, but when it comes to Jesus, He must be all in all, first place, and nothing else. He demands total commitment! When He went to the cross for me, He was totally committed! He sacrificed His life for mine! How can my commitment be any less? All followers of Jesus must sit down and count the cost. Jesus concluding sentence was, So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that He has cannot be my disciple. I wonder how quickly the crowd dwindled. Where is my heart? Is it clearly His and only His?
 
Father,
Draw me ever closer increasing my commitment day by day. I so want to be Jesus' disciple. Thank You, Jesus for Your commitment to me.
In Your name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment