Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Love from a Pure Heart, a Good Conscience, and a Sincere Faith

I Tim. 1:6
The aim of our charge is love, that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
 
Paul wrote this letter to Timothy, his true child in the faith. How it must have blessed his heart to have this relationship! He was able to rest in the fact that his imprisonment would not halt the spread of the gospel or the spiritual growth of new believers, and he would be able to rest assured that his ministry would go on even after his eventual death. Timothy's mission was to travel to Ephesus urging the believers there to avoid teaching other doctrines and to desist pursuing myths and genealogies which promoted speculation rather than stewardship from God through faith. Instead The aim of their charge was love, that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
 
How important love is! If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have no love, I gain nothing. Any work, even though it may seem altruistic and selfless, is still just a work. Without love, the best this work or teaching can be is a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. Sadly, that's the truth! These teachers in Ephesus had swerved from the faith and gotten themselves embroiled in useless discussions, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they were saying or the things about which they made confident assertions. Perhaps they thought they appeared holy or religious, but not only were they not functioning in love, they were also not competent in their teaching. Puffed up in what they thought they knew, they became heady and strong-willed. Where was their faith and their love? Were they know by their patience and kindness or their arrogance and rudeness? The aim of Timothy's charge was sorely needed then as it is now. How easy it is to let love slide and let duty or works take its place! It feds our pride and self-worth making us forget our worth is only in the Jesus and through grace! What a gift! His love in us should be our operational mode, myself or Him, my works for His, and my life in His!
 
Father,
Teach me more about love and how to live within its confines. Growth my faith into godly sincerity and keep my conscience clear before You and men.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment