Monday, July 8, 2013

Give Ear to My Voice

Ps. 141:1
O Lord, I call upon You; hasten to me! Give ear to my voice when I call to You.
 
David desires an immediate and clear conversation with God because he has important petitions that he needs to bring before the Lord. Initially, he wants his prayer to be counted as incense before the Lord and the lifting of his hands as the evening sacrifice! How beautiful! Rev. 5:8 mentions the 24 elders who fall down before the Lamb each carry a golden harp and golden bowls full of incense which are the prayers of he saints. Are my prayers a sweet aroma in the nostrils of God? Do I ask the Lord to make them an acceptable offering? I think of Ps. 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Is my heart broken in sweet surrender and repentance when I come before Him?
 
Next, he desires that God set a guard over his mouth and  keep a watch over the door of his lips! How crucial is this! James 3 says that the tongue is a world of unrighteousness set among our members straining the whole body. It sets on fire the entire course of life, and is set on fire by hell. Wow! What chance do I have at controlling my tongue? None! It must be through the power and grace of God. Certainly, this should be included in my every prayer.
 
David then asks that his heart be not inclined to evil. He seems to understand the nature of evil deeds and evil companions when he calls their deeds delicacies. In the moment of temptation, he knows that evil deeds are not perceived as what they truly are, but instead as something to be prized and kept for special people and special times. How important is this request! I would want my motives and desires to be His alone, not indulging in any evil delicacies.
 
His next request is crucial but sometimes hard to endure. He asks that when he is rebuked by a righteous person, he would receive that rebuke and not refuse it. This comes down to pride! How humbling to take a rebuke from someone else who has sin in their life as well, but someone God has chosen to use in his life. David prays that God will transform this rebuke into a kindness, into oil for his head, an anointing, as it were, preparing him for the work of the Lord. What an insightful prayer! How often do I need to regard rebukes as precious oil for my head? I pray that my desire for growth would far outweigh any amount of pride in my heart.
 
He concludes by saying, my eyes are toward You, O God, my Lord; in You do I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless! What a beautiful prayer! The word is so timeless. David's prayer of so many years ago fits my life today. His needs are mine, and hopefully, his desires are mine as well.
 
Father,
Let my prayer be sweet incense to You. May I always come broken and contrite before You. Set a guard over my mouth. Make me only Yours from the thought to the spoken word. Give me a heart of humility to receive teaching and rebuke. I want my eyes ever focused on You. Give me Your strength and grace to do that.
In Him,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment