Sunday, July 7, 2013

Worthy

II Thess. 1:11-12
To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of His calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by His power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
 
Christ's coming will be twofold in purpose: judgment and glorification. Christ will come in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Time will be up! No more grace, just accountability! These people will suffer eternal destruction away from the presence of the Lord. They will be cut off completely! However, the saints will see His glorification.Truly a marvelous sight!
 
It is to this end that Paul prayed for the Thessalonians. He asked God to make them worthy of His calling and to accomplish every resolve for good and every work of faith by His power. This is the believer's goal or purpose! The first thing that I notice is that God does all of this for me. I, like Paul, must pray that God will accomplish all this in my life which is totally different than if I go after being worthy. I must desire it with all I have and then pray, pray, and pray some more. How hard this is! It seems so much easier just to go after it in my own strength, to use my own talents and strengths. How foolish and what a waste of time! Why must it be this way? If I purpose to accomplish these things in my own strength, then I will be taking the glory, but if God works it all in me, then He has the glory. Everything in my life must bring Him the glory! He doesn't want me to offer up to Him my good works or my plan for His purpose. He wants me to give Him my self, emptied and needy. And all of this is because of the grace of God! Truly Amazing Grace!
 
Father,
I ask that You make me worthy of Your calling and help me to accomplish every resolve for good and every work of faith by Your power. Work in me so that I may bring You glory. Reveal to me any pockets of human resolve. Root them out and fill me up with Your grace.
In Him,
Amen
. 

No comments:

Post a Comment