Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Depression

Ps. 143:10
Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God! Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground!
 
David is desperate for God. The enemy has pursued not only his body, but also his soul. He feels crushed to the ground like he is sitting in darkness with the dead. His spirit faints, and his heart is appalled. It is from this deep depression that he petitions God to hear his prayer. What a good lesson! Many times when depression rules the soul taking action seems impossible, but not so for David. He knew that God was the answer and that prayer was the way to restoring his emotions.
 
He is assured that in faithfulness God will answer. What a great insight! He never doubts the faithfulness of God even when it seems all else has failed, and life is bleak. He realizes that he is not righteous before God (as is no one), so he asks to be spared judgment. Thankfully, I am covered in the righteousness of Christ. He has taken my judgment on Himself. What a glorious gift is redemption! The judgment I deserved has been transformed into amazing grace.
 
David then remembers the past and meditates on the great works of God. As remembering fills his soul, he reaches out for God. He stretches out his hands to God; his soul thirsts for God like a parched land. (How beautifully he describes his desperation!) The wonderful thing is that he knows where to go to cure his deep depression. God has helped him in the past, and he will help him now. But there is always the waiting which often seems unending. Thankfully, the praying is immediate. 
 
Hide not Your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of Your steadfast love, for in You I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul. Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord! I have fled to You for refuge. 


 
David concludes his prayer by asking God to teach him His will, to give him surety in direction. He emphatically declares that God is His God! How glorious! As God's servant, he petitions God to help Him not just for David's sake but for His name's sake. Their lives are so closely entwined that what happens to David is vitally connected to God. What a distance this prayer has gone! His depression has taken him right to God and has allowed him to place his life into the hands of His loving God!
 
Father,
I am Your servant and know Your great grace and steadfast love. When my heart begins to lose hope, draw me into Your presence. Give me Your strength to lift my hands to You and thirst for You alone. Open my eyes to Your great work in my life.
In Jesus,
Amen
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment