Thursday, July 4, 2013

Final Instructions

I Thess. 5: 23-24
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, He will surely do it.
 
As Paul closes this letter to the Thessalonians, he gives them final instructions. There are so many that they would be overwhelming if it weren't for verses 23-24 where it states that it is God Himself who sanctifies who makes these final instructions a reality in a believer's life.
  • Respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord. I wonder if people only wanted to acknowledge Paul in this manner and not the local leaders. However, respect is necessary because those who labor in this manner have a greater burden and responsibility.
  • Be at peace among yourselves. Peace is crucial for relationships.
  • Admonish the idle.
  • Encourage the fainthearted.
  • Help the weak.
  • Be patient with them all. Perhaps the idle, the fainthearted and the weak are often those people who fall through the cracks. They need special care that is time consuming. So be patient with them. Bring them along gently.
  • See that no one repays evil for evil. This won't happen if we are at peace. Instead of returning evil for the evil received, show grace as God showed grace to me.
  • Seek to do good to one another and to everyone. As God has shown good to me, then I must show good to others
  • Rejoice always. .My heart must rejoice constantly when I think of all He has done for me.
  • Pray without ceasing. Unceasing prayer is necessary for me to make these final instructions a reality.
  • Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in everything. How exciting! A clear statement of the will of God. I need to give thanks in everything, especially in the adversity.
  • Do not quench the Spirit. A thankful spirit will produce obedience to the leading of the Spirit. Letting Him work freely in my life means giving up of self.
  • Do not despise prophecies, but test everything. Be alert. Test everything by the Word.
  • Hold fast what is good. Hang on to the good. Don't be tempted with the bad.
  • Abstain from every form of evil. In everything let the Spirit and the Son shine out through my life.
And all this is through the sanctification that God works in my life. He who called me, who chose me, and who saved me, will do what He has promised. He will keep me holy and blameless at the coming of Jesus.
 
Father,
Thank You for being a faithful God whose promises are true and unfailing. As You sanctify me, grow me in these areas. Give me a spirit of thanksgiving and peace.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment