Friday, July 26, 2013

Training

I Tim. 4:7-8
Have nothing to do with irreverent silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness, for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
 
Not only is bodily training a successful business nowadays, but it has great effects for those who participate. It improves health and overall quality of life for this life, but often the dedication that it takes to be successful takes the place of what the soul needs. This verses encourages our dedication be focused on training for godliness. Certainly, exercise and be healthy! But don't let it consume your life and be your entire focus. I think in our culture it seems that even if we do good things in moderation, the thing that always gets left out or slighted is time with God, our training for godliness.
 
Training speaks to me of a plan and sticking to the plan. Training for anything is not haphazard. Instead it is focused on the goal. The goal here is promise for this life and for the life to come, a twofold benefit, temporal and eternal. This is a cautionary promise speaking to me of focus. It wouldn't have to be exercise. It could be anything that would take my focus from God and put it elsewhere.
 
Father,
Keep my eyes and my heart focused on godliness. Let me think of it first in all that I do. Convict me heavily when I stray away from the godly training.
In Him,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment