Thursday, August 15, 2013

Deceivers

Titus 1:16
They profess to know God, but they deny Him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.
 
Paul spoke sharply about the insubordinate, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party. Wow! Let's call a spade a spade! Why would he come out so strongly against these people? They were teaching falsely and upsetting entire families.  What was their motivation? Money, shameful gain! He also described them as detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work with their minds and their consciences defiled. What does Paul want Titus to do about this serious problem?  Rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not devoting themselves to Jewish myths and the commands of people who turn away from the truth. They profess to know God, but they deny Him with their works. There is hope if they will repent and turn away from what they are teaching and doing. What a task for Titus! How hard confrontation is, but when it comes to the spiritual growth of the body, it must be done!
 
In this passage, Paul has given us a clear guideline for recognizing false teachers.
  • Does their walk coincide with their words? [Perhaps most believers should examine their lives as they think about this question. Do they live what they say, especially in their homes or at their work.]
  • Are they rebellious in nature, insubordinate, and disobedient? [Once again, where is my heart? Do I ever cross the line into willing disobedience?]
  • They are detestable with the mind and consciences defiled. They have no care about the spiritual damage they do. [Most believers would never be like this. But aren't there times when disagreements cause stress and spiritual damage is done. People leave and relationships are damaged.]
  • They are unfit for any good work. It matters not what you give them, it won't turn out right. [Hopefully, this is not the problem of a true believer. Yet I have seen many take on a task and totally ignore it or leave it unfinished. The same goes for volunteering for a service and not showing up.]
  • The motive of these people is shameful gain. They are after the bucks! [I would so hope and believe that the true believer's motive is  vastly different. He does all he does to honor and glorify God.
Father,
As I examine my heart this morning, I confess I have felt some of these feelings. Thankfully, I haven't acted on them, but since You know my mind, it really doesn't matter. Give me Your strength and wisdom to recognize false teachers and to keep myself clean and unspotted with the filth of this world. Lord, I want my actions and my words to be the same. May they always honor You.
In the Name of my Savior,
Amen
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment