Friday, August 2, 2013

Trust

Prov. 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths.
 
Such famous verses, and not only beautifully written, but intensely practical! It sounds so simple. Trust in the Lord. Why wouldn't I? I know how many mistakes I make in decisions, and I know that He is the Creator and planner of all life. So what is my problem? Why do I still often make my own decisions and lean on my own understanding? Even though I would never think or say that I know better than God, my constant auto-pilot functioning and my forgetting to pray about so many things reveal my true heart. Trusting in God demands an act of my will, an act of surrender. Auto-pilot is so deeply ingrained that without a volitional surrender, trust will always be haphazard. How revealing!
 
Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.
 
These verses continue the line of thought. Is my auto-piloting through life really being wise in my own eyes? Perhaps calling it 'auto-pilot' somehow makes it less offensive. Maybe I think that for the most part I get through life alright, but I can only imagine how much better it would be if I was constantly aware of God in every aspect of my life. This is what I want!
 
Father,
I confess the sin of auto-pilot. I need and want You in my life constantly. Spirit, guide me in this and grow me.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment