Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Discipline and Racing

Heb. 12:6
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."

Chapter 12 begins with two verses so often quoted. 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

But what do these verses have to do with the ones that immediately follow on discipline? It seems to me there are two main points. Point number one being the race and how we run it. We are to lay aside sin [all sin because they are weights keeping us from running unencumbered] and run with endurance the race that is before us by looking to Jesus, by seeing how he ran. He endured the maximum amount of hostility any man could endure. He knew ahead of time that his death was required, and yet he didn't back out. He didn't choose an easier path. He ran straight until the very painful end. In our struggle against sin I have not been anywhere near the point of death. If I had, I am not sure how I would have responded. It would only be by the grace of God that I would be strong. But I am exhorted to remember Jesus, remember how he suffered for me, remember how he rose again and is seated in heaven. I am to remember because I will be there with Him. I am to remember because this is my future.

Point number 2 would be that the way I learn to resist sin and lay aside the weights is by the discipline of the Lord. He disciplines me so that I may run better, so that my vision will be clearer, and so that I may see the source of the strength that I need. Hopefully, I will see that depending on myself is sin and a huge weight, and depending on Him is an unlimited source of strength. What is my response to this discipline? At times I would like it to be over, but then I would be responding like a willful, illegitimate son. A son respects the father who disciplines him and so to for my heavenly Father. He disciplines me so that I may share His holiness and not muck around in my fleshliness.I must keep my eyes on the end goal and not on the momentary feeling. In this case, pain produces the peaceful fruit of righteousness. Discipline and the resulting pain are for my training. They keep me in shape for the big race, the race that really counts for eternity.

 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Father,
Thank You for loving me enough to discipline and train me in Your ways. Help me to run the race with endurance and keep my eyes on Jesus. How could He run for me and then have me balk at running to Him? What an ingrate! Forgive me. Clear my vision and strengthen my resolve. 
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment