Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sifting Like Wheat

Lk. 22:31-32
Simon, Simon, behold Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again strengthen your brothers.

Jesus looked at Peter and knew what was to come. Sifting like wheat! How painful and humiliating! Satan was and still is the accuser of the brethren, and in this case, he was accusing Peter. By means of foreshadowing, Jesus called him Simon because his flesh [his old man] would be sorely tested. However, Jesus prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail, and it didn't. He certainly did not endure the test with flying colors, but he did not lose the war. Thank God Jesus prayed and prays for me as well! Imagine the outcome without Jesus interceding! 

Peter could not believe what Jesus said. It was incredulous to him! In all his great bluster Peter declared that he would go to prison and even to death with Jesus.  However, when the heat is on, he had no idea what the frying pan would feel like! Nor would I!  I would hope I would stand firm, but I know that my flesh is very weak. I would certainly cry out to Jesus, and His prayers would carry me through. Jesus told Peter flat out that he would deny Him 3 times before morning. Not once but 3 times! What would that taste like on times 2 and 3? Would it get increasingly more bitter? All I know is that when it actually happened later that night, Peter remembered what Jesus had said and went out and wept bitterly. Oh the shame! There have been times that I regretted what I had done so badly that I wept bitterly. Did I weep because of my own embarrassment, because of what others would think of me? Or did I weep because of the shame that I had brought to the name of Jesus? Something to consider. How deeply entrenched is my flesh! 

After Peter's denial, Jesus told him he would turn again. He would come back to where he had been, and at that time he was to strengthen his brothers. His sifting would make him a stronger leader.This is the great re-purposing that Jesus gives.  He can take a failure and turn it into something useful. He molds and shifts and re-purposes all to bring glory to Himself and the Father. Thank God my salvation and my walk is all of grace! It is not based on my performance, it is based on His performance, on what He did on Calvary. Truly, grace is amazing! Without it I would have no hope. Without it I would be doomed to only what my flesh could do. Without it eternity with Jesus would never be a reality.

Father,
Thank You for Your great grace! For saving and sanctifying me. For loving me and remaining faithful to me even when I am not faithful. I confess so many times I have been unfaithful. Forgive.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment