Sunday, August 23, 2015

Homeland

Heb. 11:16
But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared for them a city.

Verse 13 says, These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledge that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 'These all', who were these people? Thus far in the chapter we have had Abel who offered a more acceptable sacrifice and lost his life for doing so. Then Enoch who pleased God so much that he went to be with God skipping over death. Wow! Following him was Noah who built an ark to preserve his family and a crew of animals even when he had never heard of a flood. Finally, Abraham and Sarah. Abraham followed God blindly not knowing where he would go, living his life in tents. And Sarah who had the promise of a child dangled in her face even to the ripe old age of zero reproductibility. What do all these people have in common? Faith, a looking forward to a promise that they never saw fulfilled in their lifetimes. Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him. And coupled with that, they knew without any doubting that they were strangers and exiles in this earth. Their look was forward and upward. They looked for a heavenly city. The result: God was exultant to be called their God and to prepare for them a city.

The same is still true today. I must have faith, believing in Him 100% and believing in all He says 100%. He and His words must dictate my every move, thought, feeling, and attitude. Also I must acknowledge my allegiance to a heavenly kingdom, one that has been prepared for me by God Himself where I will live with Him eternally. Like those mentioned in Heb. 11, I have the promise now and soon the reality will be mine. 

Father,
How encouraging! My heart believes in You. I know that Your kingdom is a reality and is awaiting me. Help me to be discerning concerning this world. I know that I am a stranger and alien but sometimes I feel like my feet sink a little too deep in the muck that surrounds me. Open my eyes to see the truth and the true way.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment