Saturday, August 1, 2015

Grace of God

Titus 2:11-15
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,
training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,
waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.
Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

I know how wonderful the grace of God is. It has been the subject of hymns, poetry, books, worship songs, prayer, and devotion, but here is a clear statement as to why the grace of God appeared. It was to bring salvation, to train believers to renounce ungodliness and worldly passion, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives. I rejoice daily for my salvation for without grace it would never have happened. But am I living with the other two objectives clearly visible in my focus? 

First I must deal with the negative. To renounce ungodliness and worldly passion means to eradicate it, to abhor it completely, and to never let it control me. Yet I have flares of temper and impatience, times when I feel justified in allowing those behaviors. That is not renouncing! If the negative is present in my life, it is very hard for the positive to take root and grow. I must be self-controlled, upright, and godly. Self-controlled means that I don't allow temper and impatience to flare out in my life. It means that at the first sign I confess and grieve over sin that has tried to control me once again. Godliness will never be there as long as sin is! Sin must become abhorrent to me, so distasteful that I never allow it in my life.

Father,
Give me this hatred for sin. Help me to stamp it out whenever it rears its ugly head. Lord, help me not to care so much about my flesh. Help me not to get satisfaction out of the wrong things. Help me to live with the clear objectives of grace in my vision constantly. 
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment