Tuesday, August 18, 2015

No Guilt

Lk. 23: 14
You brought me this man as one misleading the people. And after examining him before you, behold I did not find this man guilty of any of your charges against him. 

Jesus was brought to Pilate and then to Herod and then back to Pilate. Each time the outcome was pretty much the same. Initially Pilate said, I find no guilt in this man. But the people...There it is. Each time the 'But'. In contrast to a heathen poly-god religious system or really no religious system at all stood the Israelites, a people known for their religion and esteemed to be the chosen people of God. But yet they are the ones desiring the death of the Son of God, their own God. 

When Pilate learned that he was a Galilean, he sent him to Herod who was glad to see him because he had heard much about him and wanted to see some signs. But after a lengthy questioning where Jesus refused to answer, Herod was disappointed and the chief priests and scribes accused him even more. They were pretty much the proverbial dog-wit-a bone. Sadly Herod and his soldiers treated him with contempt, mocking and jeering. And at the conclusion, he was sent back to Pilate. 

Poor Pilate! He was left with a mess. He called together the chief priests and scribes together and said, I did not find this man guilty of any of your charges against him. He stated that Herod had found nothing either. Pilate knew that He had done nothing deserving of death. He wanted only to punish and release Him.Oh my! This brought on a cry of outrage!! They chose rather Barabbas, a known insurrectionist and murderer to be released. For a third time Pilate said, Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no guilt deserving death. I will therefore punish and release him. He was met with more urgent and demanding cries of Crucify Him, crucify Him! How heartbreaking! Because of their insistence, Pilate caved and gave them Jesus to be crucified. He delivered Jesus over to their will. The will of man seldom chooses the will of God! 

This story is so cautionary. Religious people can become so blinded to the truth. Their dogmas and creeds can obliterate their vision of Jesus. I would hope that I would always see Jesus, that His truth would shine forth without cloud or blockage and that I would stand for what I know and see as truth unwaveringly.

Father,
Help me to stand in Your grace and strength. Help me to see Jesus constantly. 
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment