Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Scoffers

Prov. 22:10
Drive out a scoffer, and strife will go out, and quarreling and abuse will cease. 

Oh the terrible effects of a scoffer! He creates strife, quarreling and abuse. As I have been studying 2 Peter and Jude, I see scoffing is hugely significant in the lives of those who pervert the gospel. 2 Peter 3:3 says, knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. And Jude 1:18 says, In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions. These people have crept into the body of Christ and have perverted the grace of God changing it into sensuality. They deny not only the claims of Jesus but Jesus Christ Himself. They blaspheme want they do not know and are destroyed by all that they understand that is their base sensual natures. They are grumblers, malcontents, following their own sinful desires, loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain their own advantage. And so much more!!

When I read of scoffers, grumblers, and malcontents, I think that doesn't sound too bad. Who doesn't do a little of these things? But when I read that they are linked with these horrible behaviors, it becomes a wake up call. When I fall into these traps, what follows? Normally, strife, quarreling and sometimes even abuse. Am I allowing my baser nature to control me throughout the day? Am I listening to it as opposed to the Spirit of God who indwells me? Such a battle! 

Father,
Help me. Give me grace and strength to withstand the pull of my baser nature, to fight against sin, and to call it what it is. Help me never to justify what I have done. I am sorry for the many times that I have fallen into these traps.
In Jesus name,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment