Monday, March 18, 2013

A Living Sacrifice

Rom. 12:1-2
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
 
Paul's appeal is based on the mercies of God because I can offer nothing to God that would ever be acceptable apart from His mercy and grace. But since I am alive in Christ, I am just such a living sacrifice. But what does it mean to be a sacrifice? I always think of Ps. 51:16-17. For You would not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; You will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Old Testament sacrifices were dead and something offered in the place of another. I know that these sacrifices were replaced by Christ's sacrifice and that His sacrifice covered my sin redeeming me from the curse of the death. So I am alive in Him! I am a living sacrifice, but what does that really mean? What can I offer God? God does not desire my works, He desires my heart. I come to Him broken and He heals me, contrite  and He forgives me, and submissive and He leads, guides, loves, protects, saves, etc. because He is my Lord and Master. Christ is all and in all. He wants my obedient, submissive heart.  How hard is that?? Super hard, but thankfully He forgives and remembers that I am dust. Still as I grow I must present my body, my entire life to Him. I must consider my entire life my spiritual worship. Loving God is 100% of me.
 
Father,
Giving You 100 % of me is the desire of my heart, but I fall short so many times. I confess my flesh is so weak. But thank You for Your great grace and mercy. Keep growing me into what You would have me be.
In His name,
Amen

 


No comments:

Post a Comment