Friday, March 8, 2013

Cast Your Burden

Ps. 55:22
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you.
 
Like David, I am often in a stew about something. However, in David's case it was the enemy after him, and in my case, it seems to be that I am my own worst enemy. David begins by expressing his complaint:
  • He was restless and moaned because he could hear the enemy.
  • His heart was in anguish and terror of death consumed him.
  • Fear, trembling, and horror overwhelmed him.
But as I trace David's journey to deal with his issues, I see first he desired to escape. Oh that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. How many times have I wished that! How hard it is to face the problems that eat at the soul and wreak havoc with the emotions. Secondly David asked God to destroy and divide the tongues of his enemies. Interesting...He wanted them in a state of confusion, to reduce their effectiveness. Finally, he was able to see the true crux of the problem. It was not an enemy who taunted him but a dear and close friend. But it is you, a man, my equal, my companion, my familiar friend. We used to take sweet counsel together; within God's house we walked in the evening. The pain of a lost friend or betrayal by one close to you is so intense! What can dull that pain? Worse yet, the betrayal was in the house of God, a place where unity and love are to reign.
 
Then David realized what he needed to do: to pour out his soul to God. Evening and morning and at noon I utter my complaint and moan, and He hears my voice. Yes, He hears even when the cries bring bitterness, grief, sadness, and heartbreak. God did keep David's soul safe, and finally, he stated his conclusion to the matter. Cast your burdens on the Lord, and He will sustain you. He knew this to be true in his head, but yet it took him so long to live in the reality of it. What a lesson for me! When it comes to the first hint of problems or heartbreak, I need to cast my burden on the Lord. How simple yet how hard! Sadly, I often think I can handle things on my own, or if I don't think it, I live in the reality of it. Perhaps I am hesitant because if I cast them on the Lord then I will have to leave them with the Lord. How morose that I would, like many other people, get some kind of kick out of nurturing a hurt. Sometimes even telling my friends or family so others can feel sorry for me and come to my aid. But whose aid do I need? Just His! My lesson is to pour it out and leave it there.
 
Father,
Thank You for touching my heart and for being patient with me as I learn these lessons. Your grace is always more than enough for every need and hurt that I have.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment