Sunday, March 10, 2013

Til the Storms Pass By

Ps 57:1-2
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in You my soul takes refuge, til the storms pass by. I cry out to God Most High who fulfills His purpose for me.
 
How applicable are David's words! Many times the storms that come into my life are overwhelming. It as if the waves of adversity attack me unrelentingly leaving me no chance to think or even to breathe. The same was true for David as it is for all people today. Life is full of unpredictable events, difficult situations, and unexpected circumstances that constantly tear at the foundations of faith. Even though David was in hiding from his enemy, he was not defeated. He was crying out to God.
 
He began by asking God for mercy, a request that acknowledged a sovereign God who has planned every detail of life, and will fulfill His purpose for David. He knew his only recourse was to cry out for mercy to the God who was gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. In the shadow of His wings he would take refuge until the storm passes by. He did not asked for the storm to be removed, but that he could take refuge. So beautiful!  What a great promise!
 
Even when he was fearing for his life, he offered God the sacrifice of praise. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let Your glory be over all the earth. David repeatedly expresses his fear and  need, yet he praises God. I find that it is so easy to lose sight of God in the storm, to take my eyes off Him and let them fixate on the storm of the moment. But when my heart is full of praise, yes praise even for this situation, I can be faithful. My heart is steadfast , O God, my heart is steadfast!
 
This steadfast heart will bring joy and gladness into my soul. my tears and moaning will be replaced with song. I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to You among the nations. For Your steadfast love is great to the heavens, Your faithfulness to the clouds. What glorious words! David purposed in his heart to praise and sing, to cry out to God. He refused to let the storm consume him. After the dark night of fear and anguish, David was ready to awaken the dawn with praise.
 
He concludes this great psalm with Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let Your glory be over all the earth! God's glory will be over all the earth! What He has purposed will come to pass! His mercy and love are steadfast and abundant! His wings are open and inviting! I will run to Him til the storm passes over.
 
Father,
Thank You for being my refuge in the storm. Help me to remember what is true about You and live in that reality.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment