Monday, March 4, 2013

Broken and Contrite Heart

Ps. 51:1-
Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your steadfast love, according to Your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from within.
 
 
David was a man who experienced heart-wrenching sin. His wrong choices not only affected his own heart but involved the lives of so many others through his murder, deceit, lust, and adultery. So you would think that once he had confessed, he would be A-OK. But no, David's sin was a pattern that would be emulated by his sons in their adult years. Consequently his cries to God were from a life that knew incredible shame and despair.
 
But even in the face of this all, he remembered what was true about God, His steadfastness and His mercy. He remembered that God could wash and cleanse, and he cried out all God had for him.  Understanding that what he had done was a sin against God increased his desire to confess, repent, and be made right. He knew and recognized the disciplining hand of God. Instead of rebelling or chafing against the rebuke, he asked for rejoicing. Let me hear joy and gladness, let the bones that you have broken rejoice
 
After the confessing and the cleansing, David asked to have a clean heart and a right spirit. He wanted that closeness with God that he had had before. His heart was ready to praise God with the sacrifices of God, a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart.
 
David could not be right with God by a burnt offering or by going through any motions. He had to examine his heart. The same is true for me. When I have sinned and have upset my communion with God, I can not just begin my normal routine again. If I do my life will be a sham! I must confess and repent acknowledging both before God. I must accept His discipline and actually rejoice in it (the broken bones of v. 8). When I give Him my broken and contrite heart, then I can be right with Him.
 
Sounds easy, but so hard to do! I know that I often just go on with my life and tell myself not to do that again, or even worse yet I forget all about what has gone before. How foolish! Where is this cavalier attitude coming from? Do I think that grace will cover my carelessness about sin? I think all this speaks about my heart. Is my heart grieved when I sin? Is my fellowship with God so sporadic that I don't notice sin blocking His light and love?
 
Father,
I confess my carelessness in confessing. I would never say that I don't care or value my relationship with You, but yet sometimes it looks that way. Send Your Spirit to convict and lead me in the paths that I should go. Teach me to rejoice in the bones You have broken in my life. I love You and praise Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment