Friday, March 15, 2013

Wait Silently

Ps. 62:11-12
Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this; that power belongs to God, and that to You, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.
 
David began this psalm in silence, waiting on God. Certainly it seems that that action doesn't require much, but when the world around a person is filled enemy attacks, it is a different story. I am sure that David was aware of the many strategies and plans that needed to be put in place, but at the same time, David was aware of what was really important in his life, that is his relationship with a Sovereign God.
 
For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly moved. 
 
Often I feel like my life is spinning out of control with so much on my plate, yet sadly, I seem to forget what is really important in my life. I can definitely learn a lesson from David. I know I believe in the power of a sovereign God, and I know that everything in my life is a result of that. I also know that nothing takes God by surprise. Everything happens as He has planned, but somehow, I don't always rest in that fact. I find it so hard to silently wait on the Lord. Perhaps it comes down to intimacy with God. I am sure that David was intimate with God, but what about me? Am I as intimate with God as I am knowledgeable about Him? 
 
David remembered what was true about God. His character brought him hope and peace. He knew he would not be shaken, not because of his mighty men or his military skills, but because his God was his rock, salvation, fortress, and his mighty rock.
 
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress, I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge in God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.
 
This is essential! I need to pour out my heart before God instead of trying to solve the problem myself. If I would do that more often, then I would see more of the great power of God at work. Then I am removing myself from the struggle of it all and resting in His sovereign plan. Then He can actually be my refuge, a refuge not for when all my plans have failed, but a refuge from the get-go.
 
Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this; that power belongs to God, and that to You, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.
 
My heart can then know experientially that power belongs to Him. My trust has gone from the realm of head knowledge to heart knowledge, a knowledge that will transform my life. I can rest in a God who is all-powerful and full of steadfast love. He is my hope!
 
Father,
What a great lesson! Teach me to wait silently before You. Bring it to my mind before I jump into the fray.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment