Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Obedience to His Words

Deut. 32:39
So now that I, even I , am He, and there is no God beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
 
Moses had come to the end of His life and was giving final words to the Israelite people. He has reminded them of the character of God, the Rock, His work is perfect, for all His ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is He. Because of His character and perfection, Moses speaks to them of the foolishness of disobedience. God had delivered them many times from the coming out of Egypt to present day. The children of the original Israelites saw that their parents were not allowed to enter the promised land. Certainly, they had seen first hand God's great mercy and His swift justice. It was simple: obey the words of the Lord.
 
If disobedience and idolatry was their response to God, then they would see the justice of God. See now that I , even I, am He and there is no God beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. God is sovereign and is sovereignly in control of every aspect of His people. When Moses had finished all his words, he reminded them of the importance, no even more than that, he reminded them that obedience to the words of God was their life. For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.
 
 
The very day that Moses spoke he was told to go to Mount Nebo so that he might view the land of Canaan. It was here on this mountain that he was to die and be gathered to his people because he had broken faith with God in the midst of the people of Israel at the waters of Meribah-kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin, and because Moses did not treat God as holy in the midst of the people of Israel. How serious is this warning! Considering the kind of man Moses was and his final end should put weight to God's commands. God is not mocked! What He says He will do. What is my response to God's words? Do I ever break faith with Him and neglect to treat Him as holy in the midst of the people he has placed in my world?
 
Father,
Give me wisdom and strength to resist temptations and to speak for You as I should. Grow me and convict me so that I might be as You would have me be.
In His name,Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment