Friday, January 31, 2014

Bereans

Acts 17:11
Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
 
Paul and Silas had left Thessalonica in an uproar. As Paul was proclaiming Christ to them, the Jews were jealous. They gathered some wicked men and started a mob. And when they couldn't find them, they dragged Jason and some other believers before the city authorities. Their accusation: These men who have turned the world upside down have come here also. They claimed that they were violating the decrees of Caesar by saying that Jesus was king. However, when Jason paid fines they were released. Immediately, they sent Paul and Silas away at night to Berea.
 
What a reputation! The Bereans were more noble. They received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. Many of these believed including Greek women and men. But when the Jews in Thessalonica heard this, they made a quick trip, agitating and stirring up the crowds. Once again Paul made a hasty departure. Silas and Timothy stayed there while Paul went as far as Athens. It's amazing to me how the gospel draws such a strong dividing line. There is no middle ground. I find the Bereans example important. I should also receive the word eagerly while examining the word constantly.
 
Father,
Thank You for this example. Help me to saturate myself in Your word eagerly. Make it a part of who I am flowing out of me constantly. Teach me how to make my words ones that build up other believers, are fit for the occasion, and shower grace on those who listen. Grow me in Your grace and knowledge.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment