Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Personal God

Ps. 4:8
In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
 
David's relationship with God was a reality in his life. His God was not some far-off entity, but instead someone who was personally concerned with his life. In verse 1, David has assurance that God will answer his call. He knows that God had given him relief from distress before and is assured that God will do that again. His gracious God will hear and answer. In verse 3, David knows that he, as a godly person, has been set apart for God for His purposes, and one of those purposes it to hear when David calls.  
 
David encourages those who are listening to be angry but not to sin. Let it be an anger over what is being said or done against God not about what is being done to them. As they go to bed they are to ponder, think, then offer right sacrifices and trust in the Lord. What sacrifice does the Lord desire? The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
 
 
Even though people are questioning David about His God's lack of care, David rejoices in His God. He cries out for God to lift up the light of His face upon them. He knows whatever the situation is, God has put more joy in his heart than is ever obtained from grain and wine. In fact, in peace he can rest and sleep because allows him to dwell in safety.
 
What a relationship! David's life, no matter how violent and frenzied, is in God's careful watch. He knows that whatever happens, God plan for him will be accomplished. The same goes for me. I am assured that God will answer my prayer because of the many times that He has brought me relief. I know that God has set me apart for Him and is gracious toward me on many levels. I trust in Him because He has put joy and peace in my life. He has lifted up His face toward me.
 
Father,
Thank You for the beautiful psalm and for You watch care over me. Shine the light of Your face upon me so that I may live constantly in Your presence.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment