Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Lord Opened Her Heart

Acts 16:14
One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul.
 
Paul and Timothy had journeyed to Philippi, the leading city of Macedonia and a Roman colony. They traveled there in answer to the vision of the Macedonian man calling for help. It was on a Sabbath day that they went outside the gate to the riverside where there was a place of prayer. At this same time, they met a woman named Lydia, a seller of purple goods, who was no doubt a business woman of some wealth. But the important thing about her is that she was a worshiper of God. God had a plan for her. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul. I am sure that if the Lord opened her heart, there would be no distractions whatsoever! God wanted her to hear and receive the message. Afterward, she and her entire household were baptized. Not only that but she insisted that Paul and Timothy come and lodge at her home. It was an unforgettable day for her!
 
I am thinking that this phrase would be an effective prayer. If I asked the Lord to open my heart to pay attention as I read His word, His Spirit could teach me without distraction. I would be totally focused. Also if I was sharing the Lord with an unbeliever, I could pray this as I was sharing. Only those whom the Lord has chosen, are receptive. With this prayer it would help me see someone as God sees them. It would also be great to pray at Bible Study so that all who are there would be taught by the Spirit without distraction. God can do wondrous things with a heart that is focused on Him! But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him. Yes I am a set apart one, and I want to be focused completely on Him.
 
Father,
Open my heart to pay attention to Your words and Your Spirit's leading. Open my eyes to see opportunities to share. Open my mouth and give me the words You would have me say.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment