Sunday, January 26, 2014

Goodness

Gen. 50:19-21
As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear, I will provide for you and your little ones. Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them.
 
I am not sure that the hearts of the brothers had really changed that much. After their father died, they were afraid that Joseph would take revenge against them for their selling him to a passing caravan. So they fabricated a command from their father. They told Joseph that their father, before he died, had said he should forgive his brothers. Worse yet, they didn't tell him face to face, but sent a message. Such fear and guilt!
 
But Joseph's response showed the attitude of his heart. He wept! When they came and spoke to him, they fell down before him and declared themselves his servants. But Joseph had not a vengeful bone in his body; instead, he wanted to comfort them. He acknowledged that what they had done was evil, but stated that his God meant it for good. Joseph's bad treatment by his brothers and Potiphar's wife, paved the way for his eventual release and reinstatement by pharaoh. Here he established a plan that kept many people alive through the harsh years of drought. What a perspective he had! Viewing life through God's eyes and counting all that came into his life as good. So often when trial or suffering come into our lives, we moan and whine. Where is the trust in God with that kind of a response? Can believers trust their Father even in this new trial? Joseph didn't see God's final plan and purpose for many years. Yet during that trial [hated by his brothers and imprisoned], he trusted in God. He knew his God and nothing could dissuade him. Am I close enough to the Father to see his loving hand in all that comes into my life?
 
Father,
I know that all you send into my life is for my good and for your plan and purpose. Give me grace to trust You in all that I do. Strengthen me in my inner man so that Christ may dwell in my heart through faith and so that I would be rooted and grounded in His love.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment