Sunday, January 19, 2014

Walk in the Fear of the Lord and the Comfort of the Spirit

Acts 9:31
So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied.
 
The church was at rest? I am not so sure. Saul was proclaiming the gospel and confounding the Jews who lived in Damascus. And when the days passed, some Jews sought to kill him. He had to be let down in a basket by night through an opening in the wall. When he came to Jerusalem, he attempted to join the disciples but fear was in their hearts. After Barnabas vouched for him, he preached boldly and other Jews were seeking to kill him again. Once again he escaped to Caesarea and Tarsus. Was  how they lived? Was danger a part of the norm? It was in this atmosphere that the church grew. The believers walked in the fear of the Lord and the comfort of the Holy Spirit. No doubt that is the key! They feared the Lord and not man. When hard things came, they were comforted by the Spirit. Their spiritual life was their all. Living in this reality brought about great growth.
 
As I think about the church today, I see a fairly peaceful time. Yet I see little being done in the name of God. Perhaps the fear of man and the government has shaped who we are. Or is it that we are too entrenched in the world? Whatever it is, I know I must walk in the fear of the Lord and the comfort of the Holy Spirit. I must walk no longer as the Gentiles do. This is not the way that I have learned Christ.
 
Father,
Teach me more about walking in the Spirit and being filled with the Spirit. Help me to make the right spiritual choices in this life. Continue strengthening me in my inner man so that Christ may be at home in my life.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment