Monday, January 13, 2014

Obey God Rather Than Men

Acts 5:29
But Peter answered, We must obey God rather than men.
 
The apostles continued to preach and teach and were arrested yet again. But in the night an angel opened the doors and commanded them to go and preach. So they promptly went to the temple at daybreak and began preaching again. When the council got news of this, they brought them in again.  Upon questioning them men and asking why. They andswered, We must obey God rather than men. And as if that was not enough, they laid out the facts. specifically, you killed Jesus and God raised Him from the death to give repentance and forgiveness of sins. And we were witnesses to this [and so is the Holy Spirit] and we must tell the message [as the Spirit leads us]. Talk about a slap in the face!
 
As expected, the council was enraged and wanted to kill them. But Gamaliel brought them to their senses by saying if they were not of God, they would fade away, but if they were of God, they could be found opposing God Himself. So they brought the apostles in, beat them, and charged them once again not speak in the name of Jesus. When the apostles left the council, they rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as Christ. Wow! How exciting is this! I wonder how I would be in this situation. Would I be so bold? It makes me feel ashamed at how little I share the gospel even when there is freedom and no opposition.
 
Father,
I confess my lack of sharing the gospel. Make me bold for You. Take me down the path that You desire me to go.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment