Monday, January 27, 2014

Hard Words

Mt. 10:24
A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.
 
 
Chapter 10 has some very harsh words for those who are followers of Jesus. Originally they were told to the 12, but I am a disciple as well, and they apply to me too.
  • Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
  • do not be anxious how you are to speak [when you are dragged into court] or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
  • Bother will deliver brother over to death , and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death, and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But those ho endure to the end will be saved.
  • And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both body and soul in hell.
  • So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
  • Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
  • I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. and a person's enemies will those of his own household.
  • Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
  • Whoever find his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
I can only imagine how the 12 felt upon hearing these words. What a harsh reality especially during a time when Rome was in charge. Now would certainly be the time to turn back if their heart was not totally committed. That s what I must ask myself. Am I totally committed? Am I prepared for a time like this? I can only trust Him when He said His grace was my sufficiency.
 
Father,
Grow my heart so that I will be ready to endure to the end. Strengthen me in my inner being so that I am Yours from the inside out.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment