Monday, March 24, 2014

Breaking Faith

Deut. 32:51
...because you broke faith with me in the midst of the people of Israel at the waters of Meribah-kadish, in the wilderness of Zin, and because you did not treat me as holy in the midst of the people of Israel.
 
This passage has always spoken to me. What does it really mean to break faith? What had Moses done? As the leader of the Israelites, he had had to deal constantly with grumbling, rebellion, and idolatry. He was constantly interceding for this stiff-necked people begging God not to destroy them. On a previous occasion, Moses had been told to strike the rock to produce water, but this time he was to speak to the rock. Why did he strike the rock twice? What happened?
 
Moses' exact words were, "Hear now, you rebels: shall we bring water for you out of this rock?" Obviously, their rebellion has reached the boiling point in Moses. He struck the rock twice and water did come out for the people and their livestock. The result was the same. Water was produced, but the method was entirely wrong. Disobedience even with the right result is still sin! God spoke to Moses saying, because you did not believe in Me, to uphold me as holy in the eyes of the people of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them. I can only imagine the heart of Moses. How revealing and horrifying! His sin had kept him from the promised land, the goal and end point of this entire journey.
 
I have often thought that Moses' punishment was harsh. In human terms, what he did was so small in comparison to what the Israelites did. Yet that was not the issue. As the leader, Moses had a greater responsibility and accountability. He had spent time alone with God and was God's emissary, God's spokesman to the people. What Moses said and did was directly reflective of God! As a result, Moses could only see the promised land from the mountain top where he was to die and be buried. How sad that a single moment robbed him of the promised land. Certainly, this incident is a huge warning to me. I must never break faith with God! I am so thankful that I live in grace. My actions, thoughts, and emotions are covered in the blood of Jesus.
 
Father,
I am so thankful for Your grace. Teach me and grow me so that my faith remains strong and true. Reveal to me Your words so that I might speak in obedience to You. Grant me to walk worthy of my calling from You.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment