Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sons and Heirs

Rom. 8:14
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
 
Rom. 8 is such a chapter of blessing! It begins with the bold statement that there is no condemnation for those who are in Jesus. What a blessing is this! When God sent His Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, He condemned sinful flesh and paid the debt of sin by sacrificing His own body and blood. He satisfied the requirement of the law. Because Jesus is mine, I no longer walk by the flesh but by the Spirit. The flesh brings only death and is hostile toward God, but the Spirit brings life and peace. If the Spirit of God dwells in me, His righteousness becomes mine. Wow!
 
So then, since the Spirit of God dwells in me, I will and must put to death the works of the flesh. They belong to my old nature. I no longer live by my flesh but by the Spirit who indwells me and leads me in the way that I should go. As a result, I am a daughter of God, a daughter who has been adopted and by whom I can now cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit bears witness with me that this is indeed true! Just think, a child of God and an fellow heir with Jesus. However there is a caveat at the end of v. 17. provided I suffer with Him in order that I may also be glorified with Him. Suffering is an integral part of this relationship. A true daughter and heir will suffer because that is following in the footsteps of Jesus.
 
Father,
Thank You for opening the door for me to come into Your presence and for sending Jesus to open that door. I know that Your Spirit indwells me, but sadly, I don't always hear His voice. Open my ears. Grant me to walk worthy of Your calling in listening and in doing.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment