Monday, March 17, 2014

Judgment and Deference

Rom. 14:7-9
For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
 
Rom. 14 answers all the questions about judging fellow Christians. If there are differences in life style [and here specifically food and drink], the first and foremost concern is Christ. Are we willing to destroy the work of God for food or for drink? No, of course not. If it causes my brother or sister to stumble, then I need to think of him or her before myself. Who are we to pass judgment on other believers? All actions, choices, thoughts, and attitudes are brought before the Lord, the righteous judge. Our concern is building one another up in the body of Christ. For none of us live to ourselves, although sadly many times we do because the world has tainted us with its life view and with its selfish attitudes. We are in pursuit of all that we can get. I must ask myself, Is Jesus my assistant or my leader, my Lord, my all?
 
The conclusion of the matter is let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.  That is the life that Jesus has called us to, a life of service and sharing grace with those that God puts in our path. Why is it so hard to give up our freedom? Why do we struggle so over inconsequential things? Isn't Jesus' love better than all of those things? For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of  righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. Righteousness, peace, and joy should be what I seek. And all of these things come only from a intimate relationship with Jesus not from running after the world, and certainly not from judging our fellow believers. We have to remember that our life only has meaning in Jesus.
 
Father,
My heart is stirred this morning. I confess I have sinned so much with irritability and impatience. Cleanse me. Grow my heart in Your love.
Through Jesus,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment