Monday, March 10, 2014

Greatly Shaken

Ps. 62
 
What a beautiful psalm! One that has been sung and has many times lifted my heart in worship!
 
For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation. He only is m y rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.
 
I see the psalm says greatly shaken while the song deletes greatly. I think it makes a huge difference. At times in my life I have sung this song when I truly felt shaken and considered myself in sin. Even though I was shaken, I know I was always His. Perhaps that is the difference. I was shaken but not greatly shaken, not shaken to the degree that I was separated from Him. Praise God for a salvation such as this!
 
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation,  my fortress, I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
 
Then just a few verses later the psalmist repeats his plea and his declaration. Perhaps his shaking has made him evaluate his heart and soul. He needs to restate what he knows to be true about God so he won't loose sight of the One who is his Savior. How hard it is to wait in silence when it looks like  the world is out-of-control, when an enemy is knocking at the door, or when fear appears with its grasping control. Yes, I need to cling to what is true about God, to rest in this truth, and to banish my flesh.
 
Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us...Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this; that power belongs to God, and that to You, O Lord, belongs steadfast love, for You will render to a man according to his work.
 
The psalmist concludes his thoughts saying that trust is necessary even in the scariest of times, even when the enemy is close enough to hear him breathe. Instead of fear, pout out your heart to God. Cry out to the One who has control of all things, the One whom nothing takes Him by surprise. David knows that all power and steadfast love belong to God. Yet he wants to see this power over his enemy now, but that is not the way it always is. Vengeance belongs to God! He will render and reward each man according to His work. Even if we don't see this rendering, God calls for ultimate trust in all circumstances.
 
Father,
I have been in those times where the shaking was hard, but I know You were always there. I see that this shaking and suffering was to build my trust in You. Continue! Keep molding me to the image of Your Son.
In His name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment