Saturday, March 15, 2014

Put On Jesus Christ

Rom. 13:14
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provisions for the flesh.
 
Rom. 13:8 begins a vital passage concerning the believer's debt of love. Owe no one anything, except to love one another. This debt is essential because love is the key to the Christian walk. Paul goes on to explain that loving others fulfills all the law. A person who loves others will not commit adultery, murder, or theft. He will not covet. But if you love your neighbor as yourself, you will do no wrong. It is this fact that is the fulfilling of the law. Sounds simple! All I have to do is love others! Oh my, that is so hard! Loving others means giving up self. I am pretty sure that in my own strength I cannot successfully live like this.
 
Paul's second point supporting our love for others is that the time is drawing near, the time for Christ to come back and call His chosen ones to Himself. Paul says to cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light. In fact, put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provisions for the flesh. It is only by putting on Jesus Christ that I can love others. In my flesh I will always defer to myself. My needs and desires will trump other's needs and desires. Without Jesus my love would be circumstantial and short-lived. But with Jesus I can be a new person.
 
Father,
Reveal to me the works of my flesh and fill me with Your Spirit that I might put on Jesus Christ. Help me to love others. Transform my perception and my priorities.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment