Monday, March 3, 2014

The Battle

Rom. 7:24
Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
 
Paul has developed a thought line that is so crucial to the life of every believer. The commandment [law] was made so that unbridled sin would be revealed. Even though the law did that, it in itself did not produce the sin, it only revealed that sin, sin that is resident in every person's life. Since the law is spiritual, there is no way that man in the flesh can obey it. It will always reveal the sin that is at the core of every person. So essentially it is sin living within me. It is part and parcel of my flesh. Even though I want to do good, I cannot win the battle against sin and death.
 
Sadly, even though I delight in the law of  God, sin always lies close at hand. It is inextricably part of my flesh. Because of this, I am the wretched man! But thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord. He, by His death and resurrection, made it possible for my nature to be transformed. But until Jesus calls me home, I will always have this battle  The wonderful thing is that now I don't have to lose! Through Christ, I can be victorious! His grace and strength are my mainstay. But when I rely on myself, I will fall prey to my sinful flesh. When I will give my flesh the slightest edge, it will grab me and send me down a sinful path. His grace is my sufficiency. His power is perfected in my weakness.
So for now I will groan inwardly, as I eagerly await my adoption as His daughter.
 
Father,
Thank You for Your great grace. Keep my heart ever focused on it. Grow me strong and steady for You.
In the name of the One who made my life possible,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment