Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bear His Own Cross

Lk. 14:26-27
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple."

In the midst of the great crowds who followed Jesus, He explained what it truly meant to follow Him. It did not mean running to see miracles or signs. It did not mean chasing the new fad. Following Jesus meant a life change, a change that came at a great cost. What was and still is involved in following Jesus?
  • Hating father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters, and even one's own life more than Jesus-- How difficult is this! How do I even understand it?
  • Bear one's own cross-- Since the cross means death, I would be carrying about in my body the death of Jesus. I would have crucified my flesh and all of its demands and pleasures.
  • Counting the cost before the journey--I would have to be completely willing to obey fully and whole heartedly.
  • Renouncing all--Having my heart united to His heart in time, mission, purpose, activities, and in all that I do, say, think, and even feel.
What a cost! As I read these words, I look deeply into my own heart. Have I renounced all to follow Jesus? Have I carried my cross daily? Have I counted the cost? These words are so sobering and expose the shallowness of my commitment.

Father,
Continue to work in my life. Grow me in faith and grace so that I might carry my cross daily and that I might renounce all to follow Jesus.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment