Thursday, October 13, 2011

True Blessing

Lk. 11:27-29
"As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!" But he said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"

Even greater than the blessing that Mary received as the mother of Jesus or the blessing that the woman in the story had by just listening to Jesus, is the blessing that comes from hearing the word of God and keeping it. James addresses this same issue when he says, But be doers of the Word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect Law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. If hearing the Word is enough, then we are deceiving ourselves. It is similar to hearing a great message and being convicted but yet never changing, or like constantly confessing without repenting. How easy it is to stop one step short! However, I think in Lk. 11 Jesus was talking about the Pharisees, people who listened for the purpose of being critical and catching Jesus in a trap. They didn't obey the words because they didn't believe in Him and His claims. It makes sense that they wouldn't obey. But sadly, believers say they believe in Jesus and love His words. So why do they stop short of the true blessing? Why is conviction and confession enough?  As I look in my heart, I think that the answer might be in surrender and dependence, two words which sound so simple, but yet are so hard to live. When I look in the mirror of the Word, I want to surrender to its commands by depending on His grace. But even to surrender, I need His strength, stength that is perfected in my weakness.
 
Father,
Keep me seeing clearly what is reflected in Your Words. Grant me repentance which leads to godliness. Teach me to surrender my will and depend on Your grace for my strength.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment