Saturday, October 1, 2011

Miraculous Birth

Jn. 1:14
"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth."
 
What a miracle that the very Word of God became flesh and lived among us for the express purpose of bringing us grace and truth! And from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
 
Miracle #1 was when Gabriel first brought the message to Zacharias who through his disbelief became mute. Although it was somewhat hard to believe that his wife who was old and barren would conceive a child, it was not enough to justify his actions. At the time appointed, Elizabeth did give birth to John, the forerunner of Jesus. John was to prepare the hearts of the people to hear the message of salvation. After his birth and naming, Zacharias could speak again. His first words were ones of blessing God followed by a Holy Spirit led prophesy. What a miracle for Elizabeth and Zacharias to have a son, to remove her reproach, and to be a part of the next miracle!
 
Then for miracle #2 Gabriel spoke to Mary, a young virgin, telling her she would conceive, bear a son, and call His name Jesus. How? The Holy Spirit would come upon her and the power of the Most High would overshadow her (Ps. 91:1-what a powerful shadow that I can abide in too.), and the result would be that the child would be born holy-- the Son of God. What a lot to absorb and process! But Marcy responded with, Behold I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." How submissive! What a lesson to me! I don't need to understand the workings of God. I just need to trust His sovereign plan.
 
Miracle #3 happens when Mary and Elizabeth visit. The Holy Spirit came upon Elizabeth and the baby leaped in her womb. Elizabeth knew and praised God saying, Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord. What a day replete with so many blessings!
 
Luke chronicled the miraculous birth, but John put that birth in spiritual perspective. The Son of God came shrouded in physical miracles yet was born into humble humanity. He, the creator and the living Word, gave gifts of grace and truth to us that would change the course of human destiny and of our individual lives. He brought my salvation! Bless God for His miraculous birth that gave me my new birth!
 
Father,
Help me never forget who Jesus is and what His life means to me. Keep His birth, the gospe,l and the cross fresh and relevant in my life everyday.
In Jesus name,
Amen 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment