Sunday, October 30, 2011

Humbled before God

Lk. 18:14
"I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."
 
Many people would not consider themselves self-righteous or admit that they treated other people with contempt. But Jesus told a parable that went to the heart of this self-righteousness and linked it to an attitude of contempt. The parable was about two men, one a Pharisee and one a publican. As these two men went to the temple, the Pharisee stood by himself and prayed. God, I think you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get. At first glance, I notice the Pharisee's body language and position. He was aloof and aware of his surroundings. After scoping out the place, he thought he was better than anyone else that was there. From this vantage point of superiority he began to pray. As he began to pray, he verbally compared himself to others. He saw the flaws and sins in others [speck in their eye], but couldn't see himself [log in his own eye], and by that comparison, he looked alright because he only saw himself [his own log]. But comparison is always deceiving. A person's true nature is only seen in the heart because the outward appearance and actions rarely reflect the inner man. During his prayer, his focus was horizontal and not vertical. He was concerned with the tax collector and not God. His prayer was not God-centered but self-centered. He even went so far as to thank God for his judgmental, self-righteous attitude. How terrible! Finally, his self-soaked vision was full of contempt for the tax collector. Contempt is the tool of self-serving people by building them up and increasing their feeling of superiority.  
 
The publican, however, prayed in a much different manner. He was standing afar off and wouldn't even lift his eyes to heaven, but instead beat his breast, saying, God, be merciful to me a sinner! His body language was one of humility. He knew he was unworthy to come into the temple and into the presence of God. As he prayed, he was not looking around to see how he stacked up with others, but he was looking inward at his heart's sinful condition. He saw the truth about himself and knew he could only cry out for the mercy of God. His prayers were completely vertical and not horizontal at all.  He was wanting to be rid of all that separated him from God. Even in this simple prayer, he expressed so much theology. Apart from the mercy of God man has no chance to stand in the presence of God. When I pray, am I brutally honest? Am I focused on my poverty of spirit and God's great mercy? Jesus then gives the conclusion to the story. The one who exalts himself will be humbled while the one who humbles himself will be exalted.
 
Father,
I confess my acts of comparison. Help me focus on You alone and be concerned only with my relationship with You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment