Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Out of the Heart

 Mk. 7:20-23
"And he said, "What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."

Jesus was contrasting the true defiling of a person with what the Pharisees were teaching (ceremonial impurity and often merely the traditions of men). Not only did Jesus expose their true hearts, but He showed that their man-made ceremonial traditions were often violating the spirit of the Law. What truly defiles a man? Jesus says that it is his heart. Whatever is in the heart determines what comes out of the life. Isaiah identifies this condition as drawing near with their mouth and honoring God with their lips, while their hearts are far from Him and their fear is the commandments taught by men. Like the Pharisees themselves, Isaiah points out that the emphasis was on the external behavior and words not on the true heart condition. Even if the Pharisees fooled other people, it carried no weight with God. Jeremiah adds a similar word. The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds. Regardless of man's preoccupation with 'doing things' or 'looking acceptable' on the outside, God will search the heart and mind. He will examine the truth of the life and not the mask. Am I looking at my heart, or am I content with seemingly acceptable actions? Am I seeking God and asking Him to reveal what is rooted deep in the dark recesses of my heart?
 
Father,
I confess that my heart struggles and strives with feelings that are not good. Help me to confess and forsake, truly repenting. Keep my heart pure before You so that I might hunger and thirst after righteousness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment