Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Immediately

Matt.3, Mk. 1, Lk. 3

What an example of how God used different men to speak His words! Each of the gospels have many things in common yet many differences especially. I think those differences come from the Spirit of God working through the personality of each person. If each of these men would have been robots, then the gospels would have been  the same, but since they were individuals, the Holy Spirit inspired each one uniquely in their presentation of the Word of God. Even though they are unique, they are perfectly harmonized. Only God could do that!

John Mark was not an eyewitness of Jesus' life. Most believe that he got his information from Peter; hence, he is very vivid on any information having to do with Peter. His narrative is not truly a biography of Jesus but more of record of incidents and events. Perhaps that fact alone accounts for the pacing, a pacing best described by the word, immediately. In the first chapter alone:
  • Immediately he saw the heavens torn open and the Spirit descending on Him like a dove
  • The Spirit immediately drove Him out into the wilderness
  • And immediately they left their nets
  • And immediately He called them
  • And immediately on the Sabbath
  • And immediately there was in them one who had authority
  • and immediately He left the synagogue
  • And immediately they told Him about her
  • And immediately the leprosy left him
The actions and events in Mark go quickly from one to the other. Jesus immediately begins His ministry: getting baptized, enduring the temptations, calling His disciples, healing the sick, casting out demons, and teaching as One with authority. As I look at the incidents in my life, I wonder if the word 'immediately' would fit my life. Do I obey immediately? Do I share the Lord immediately? Can my spiritual growth be characterized as immediate? Something to think about. How is God working through my life? Can I see His hand and His word lived out through my own unique personality?

Father,
Work through me. Grow me through the power of Your words and Your Spirit. Teach me the immediacy of following You and obeying Your voice.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment