Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Temptation

Mt. 4:1
"Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil."

Even Jesus was directed by the Spirit of God in His earthly life. He was obedient to this leading even when it resulted in temptation. As am I when I am tempted, Jesus was assured that the Spirit of God was here with Him strengthening Him and helping Him, perhaps even bringing Scripture to mind. But for the Spirit to bring Scripture to mind, they would have to be in the mind. Do I have God's word firmly planted in my mind so that the Spirit can bring them forth when the temptation arises, when my flesh struggles to control my spirit? Am I following the Spirit's leading in every area? Am I trying to withstand temptation in my own strength? Although God Himself does not tempt, He does allow Satan to test the character and faithfulness of a man. Since Jesus endured the same temptations that I do and resisted, I can live in this same power. He won my victory. I just have to claim it! When temptations come, I don't have to cave because  I live in newness of life, in resurrection power, and in the power of the Holy Spirit. What a great gift! 

What I notice first about the temptations is that Jesus was hungry. He was weak having gone without food for 40 days. Since Satan is smart, he knows to attack when his chances of success are strongest,when man is weakest. Weakness should be my special alert. Watch out! The devil is on the prowl searching for those easily devoured, those who are weak. What do I do when I am weak? Do I fortify myself in the Word or do I make excuses for my poor choices?

What were the temptations? Logically, the first was for food, for the primary, survival needs to be met. Even though Jesus was extremely hungry, He did not fall so that His fleshly desire could be satisfied. Instead He said, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. Instead of  drawing on His own inner resources of human strength, He drew on the living and powerful Word of God, the ultimate defensive sword able to protect and defeat. Satan could say nothing in response. No amount of twisting the truth could alter what God had said. God's Words remain unchanged and all powerful. His only recourse was to move on to area two. Do I rely on the Word to resist in food choices, in these primary human drives?

Now Satan tempted Christ with personal power apart from God's timing. He wanted Him to do something at odds with God's will forcing God's hand, but what did Jesus say. You shall not put the Lord to the test. Jesus consistently obeyed the will of the Father and trusted His timing. How can I do less? I imagine Satan thought he had Jesus on this one with his divide and conquer strategy, but Jesus' meekness and humility won out. He was only concerned with the Father's will. Is the Father's will always predominant over my will?

Finally, Satan took Jesus to a mountain top to show Him the kingdoms of the world and their glory. He offered Jesus these kingdoms for a small price, worshipping him and not God. Jesus saw to the heart of the temptation and exposed idolatry. Jesus answered, You shall worship the Lord Your God and Him only shall you serve. It was no contest! Jesus' heart and soul were firmly anchored in the Father's love and will. Jesus was one with the Father. He would not be sidetracked or try to achieve any power in His own strength. Do I have any penchant for idolatry? Do I want personal glory instead of giving glory to God?

Father,
Help me to embed Your words deep in my heart and soul. Train my ears to hear the voice of Your spirit leading and strengthening me. Give me the desire and the commitment to learn Your words so that I might resist Satan when He comes to bring me down. Keep my heart united to Yours.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment