Friday, October 7, 2011

Divine Vision

Mk. 2:8-10
"And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said to them, "Why do you question these things in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise, take up your bed and walk'?  But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--he said to the paralytic--"

 
Jesus was concerned with the hearts of people and their motives as opposed to their outward actions. His divine vision revealed the truth and stripped off their masks of self-righteousness. For the Pharisees, what was revealed was their self-righteous, judgmental attitudes. But by contrast,  the Pharisees were concerned with Jesus' external behaviors and actions. They did not look any deeper but evaluated everything by the self-righteous standards of their own lives. They could not see the glory that He was bringing to God or the soul that He was saving; in fact, they couldn't even see or appreciate the physical healing of a paralyzed man. How sad!

Here, Jesus revealed His divine vision, a vision that sees clearly into the hearts of men. No amount of legalism or external behavior will blind His eyes to the true issues of the heart. What a warning to me! Fooling man is possible, but fooling God is impossible! He knows my heart, and His Spirit deals with me according to the matters of my heart. What is my recourse? Realize and admit I am poor in spirit, mourn over my sin, meekly serve Him and others, and hunger and thirst for righteousness. Unless my righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, I will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Father,
Keep my eyes and ears attune to Your spirit seeing myself as You see me. Grant me repentance so that I might grow in Your grace and knowledge. Unite my heart to Yours.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment