Sunday, October 23, 2011

Throw a Stone

Jn. 8:7
"And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."

 
The Pharisees sought to entrap Jesus once more, but Jesus turned the tables and used this incident to reveal something in them, their self-righteousness and judgmental attitude. The trap involved a woman caught in adultery. What would Jesus say and do? According to Jewish law, she should have been stoned, but Jesus' instant response was not what they expected. He bent down and wrote in the dirt. What did He write? The text doesn't say, but coupled with what He said, the point was clear. "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." Did they realize their true heart condition, or did they believe they were without sin? After he wrote in the ground once more, they melted away one by one. Apparently, their own hearts condemned them. After they all left, Jesus asked her if anyone condemned her. The answer was obvious. No one was left. Then Jesus uttered those great words of mercy, love, and forgiveness, Neither do I condemn you, go and from now on sin no more.
 
What a great lesson on judging others and on the great forgiveness that man receives at the hand of Jesus! I was and still am sinful, yet Jesus constantly forgives and says the same words to me. He doesn't condemn me, but saves me and gives me the grace and strength to have victory over sin and death. But I also think this text is saying something about my attitude toward others. Knowing that I am poor in spirit doesn't allow me to judge others. There is only one righteous Judge and He doesn't need my help!
 
Father,
Help me to see myself as I truly am before I throw stones at others.Thank You for giving me grace and mercy, salvation and sanctification.
In Jesus name,
Amen













.

No comments:

Post a Comment